Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A perfect job of rehabilitation after a ream and run @ 7 yrs.

An email from a man having had a ream and run procedure in 2009 arrived this week. He has kindly permitted us to post his information on the blog.

His preoperative x-rays are shown here.




A rotator interval plication was effective in managing some excessive posterior translation noted at surgery. He was started on the 150 degree assisted elevation program the evening of surgery.

In his recent email he reported, “It has been more than seven years since my shoulder replacement surgery, and I have long since resumed a normal life, essentially forgetting I ever had a problem.

The years leading up to surgery, when I could no longer ride a bike, kayak, rock climb, lift weights or even play the piano because I couldn’t raise my right arm high enough, seem now like just a bad dream. Before discovering the R&R option, I had consulted two other orthopedic surgeons and had not been encouraged by what they had to say. Consequently, I let my shoulder problem (osteoarthritis) progress until it was no longer tolerable. At the end, I was in constant pain, occasionally severe, and a right arm that was virtually useless.

After surgery with several months of regular stretching exercises, dedicated work, not without pain, I began to realize the amazing outcome from the R&R procedure. A year after surgery, I returned to the gym for the first time in twenty-five years. It was a new lease on life. Now, I exercise pretty vigorously three to five times a week, working all muscle groups, with a goal of restoring strength, flexibility and symmetry. Climbing, biking and kayaking are no problem. I can’t seem to perform as well in the gym as I did forty years ago, but I’ve been told the problem may be related to being 68 years old, rather than 28.

I’m attaching two video clips taken in a local gym earlier this year showing overhead press with 135 lbs. and pull-ups, respectively.”

See these videos below.







His most recent x-rays show radiographic joint space between the prosthetic humeral head and his reamed glenoid bone.




Comment: This is a perfect 6-year result. We will remain in close touch to assure that this outcome endures. Congratulations to this man for his terrific rehabilitation effort. 

It is important to state that some patients do not fare this well after the ream and run.

However, this example shows the potential.



===


Check out the new Shoulder Arthritis Book - click here.


Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.

You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages including:shoulder arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery as well as the 'ream and run essentials'