Friday, August 24, 2018

Return to sport after shoulder arthroplasty for post fracture deformity

Today we received this email from a woman treated three years ago for a post fracture proximal humeral deformity


The hemiarthroplasty was performed with an impaction grafted humeral body and a posteriorly eccentric humeral head to manage the posterior offset of her malunited fracture.

 Three years after surgery she reports on her participation in the Alaskan International Senior Games: "Well worth the 640 mile drive! The Diehards, plus 2 spouses, have a medal total of 20. And the good news is I'm "aging up" next year into the 70-74-years-old category, so my developing sprint running talent will do even better. I'm not a fast swimmer, but my 100-yard backstroke, the true test of well-functioning shoulders, got me a gold. And before we left, I found a bronze medal in a scrapbook my mother kept for me. It was inscribed: "AAU shotput 1965." Fifty-three years later I got a silver medal in the shotput, and I'm still improving. Thanks again, so great to be able to depend on that shoulder! Thinking of the national games next."

This is only part of the story of this highly motivated woman, who is also a pianist, flutist, and Zumba instructor.

Comment: This is yet another example of the use of a basic solution to a potentially complex problem.

Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.


You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages   arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery as well as the 'ream and run essentials'