Wednesday, September 11, 2019

B2 glenoid - ream and run 12 years later

An active man presented with pain and stiffness of his right shoulder requesting a ream and run procedure so that he could use his shoulder for a full range of challenging activities.

His preoperative x-rays are shown below


His axillary "truth" view shows functional posterior decentering of the humeral head in a biconcave glenoid.

At three years after surgery, he reported full function of his shoulder and return to heavy use of his shoulder, including chopping wood as shown in the video he kindly shared with us.





Now 12 years after surgery he sent this report:

"I use my shoulder for anything these days. Two years ago I decided to replace the concrete driveway at a duplex I own. It was partially two ribbons that turned into an 8' wide slab - but all but broken up by a trees roots from a tree that was removed. Using a pick, mattock and sledgehammer, I smashed up 75' of concrete. While halfway through, I found a full 8' slab 4-6" below the one I was busting up. So I kept going. I had a drainage problem and eliminated flooding by building French drains under the driveway and repaving with two ribbons of brick. I only had help by a couple (daughter and son-in-law of a neighbor) on one day mostly to help me fill an 18 Cu. Yd. dumpster with the rubble. I attached two pics - rubble and a not full dumpster. No action shots this time. Just the results of a lot of work - and the picture of concrete was just the top slab! You can see part of the concrete ribbon in the lower right with the pick ax just in front of it laying on top of the next slab to be busted up."



His x-rays at 12 years show a well fixed impaction grafted stem, a well centered humeral head in a nicely remodeled glenoid.





====
Be sure to visit "Ream and Run - the state of the art"  regarding this radically conservative approach to shoulder arthritis at this link and this link. Also see the essentials of the ream and run.

Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.


You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages   arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery