Cyanoacrylate Microbial Sealant May Reduce the Prevalence of Positive Cultures in Revision Shoulder Arthroplasty.
Propionibacterium is being recovered frequently in cases of revision shoulder arthroplasty. These authors conducted a retrospective review of 55 patients who underwent revision shoulder arthroplasties; 40 of which had standard preparations with adhesive, iodine-barrier drapes and 15 had placement of cyanoacrylate microbial sealant in addition to the standard preparation. 7 of the 40 with the standard preparation and 1 of the 15 had positive cultures. Six of the seven and one of one of the positive cultures were positive for Propionibacterium acnes. Fisher's exact test p for the difference is 0.42.
Our current thinking is that Propionibacterium lies within the sebaceous glands and hair follicles. From this site, it gets into our surgical incisions from the dermal incision. Thus we're unsure that sealing the skin will be effective in reducing wound contamination.
What is striking in this article is their summary of the recent literature on Propionibacterium positive cultures in revision shoulder arthroplasty:
Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.
You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages including:shoulder arthritis, total shoulder, ream and run, reverse total shoulder, CTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery.
See from which cities our patients come.
See the countries from which our readers come on this post.
- X-rays for shoulder arthritis
- Rotator cuff and rotator cuff tears - what you should know about them.
- Shoulder exercises
- Does rotator cuff repair surgery make a difference?
- Shoulder exercises
- Shoulder: arthritic or frozen?
- Comparing contralateral anatomic and reverse total shoulders - importance of statistical power in concluding "no difference"
- Industrial payments and publication bias
- Why is so much money and time being spent on detailed measurements of glenoid version?
- Outpatient shoulder arthroplasty - surgeons' concerns about reimbursement.