Friday, July 18, 2014

One year followup: Ream and run for B2 glenoid (the Bad Arthritic Triad)

Email received today from a Californian in his mid forties:

"I can only explain how my shoulder is doing now by comparing it to the start of my journey.   Before we met and before the ream and run surgery; I could be simply walking and with a swing of the arm be brought down almost to my knees by shooting pain resonating from my shoulder.  This pain was never consistent and I never knew when or where it would strike.  I could not lift my arm above horizontal and would receive immense amount of pain when attempting to push past this point.  For years I dealt with this issue and considered my life being immobilized and in fear of the next random occurrence.

 I am very pleased to say that I have been pain free of normal activities since roughly the six month mark.  I returned to playing softball and at first was hesitant to swing the bat hard and continue with a full follow through.  It's been a full year almost to the day and I can say that my home run hitting power is back!  I have no worries and swing as hard as I possibly can with nary a thought to my repaired shoulder.  I am still working on the flexibility and have yet to obtain 100% mobility but I attempt to get closer with my daily stretches and exercises.  I've lost roughly 45 pounds and I am in much better shape than before.  I expect to learn kite boarding within the month and that would not have even crossed my mind last year.  I am thankful I went through with the the surgery and I am especially thankful that you were available.

Here are the preoperative films showing the B2 glenoid with posterior humeral subluxation and glenoid retroversion:


And the immediate postoperative films showing humeral head centering in the glenoid without change in glenoid version. Note this surgery included the use of an eccentric humeral head and a rotator interval plication.




===

Check out the new Shoulder Arthritis Book - click here.

Click here to see the new Rotator Cuff Book

Consultation for those who live a distance away from Seattle.

To see the topics covered in this Blog, click here

Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.

You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages including:shoulder arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery as well as the 'ream and run essentials'