Sunday, October 7, 2018

The ream and run: 40,000 batting practice pitches during 11 years after surgery

We are always grateful for long term follow up after the ream and run procedure.
Here is the preop film of a man in his mid forties who came from California for us to perform a ream and run procedure on his right shoulder.
Here is a post op film four years later showing the soft tissue space that has regenerated between his humeral head prosthesis and his glenoid bone.
He had us do a left shoulder in late 2010.
In September 2012 he completed the Tough Mudder course with no issues:  "It’s an 11.5 mile run/obstacle course at altitude, wouldn’t have been able to do that pre-replacement.  Happy to report that my shoulders did great!"

A while back he kindly sent this video of him throwing batting practice (with its associated hazards)

Today, I received this followup email from him:

I'm now 11 years in on my right shoulder and 9 years on my left. I continue to work out as much as I can, 1-2 times a week with weights and doing something active most every day. I'm still the best scout team QB on the coaching staff and estimate I've thrown 40,000 (+/- 5K) batting practice pitches since the procedure. Worth noting, at the 1 year mark after the procedure I started throwing a tennis ball 5-10 feet against a wall and progressed from there. I probably started throwing actual batting practice 2 years after the procedure. If the scale is 1-10, put me down for an 11.

Needless to say, he put a huge effort into rehabilitating his shoulder - it seems to be paying off!
 
===
Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.

You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages including:shoulder arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery as well as the 'ream and run essentials'