Sunday, September 6, 2020

Ream and run in a 60 year old weight lifter with a B2 glenoid - seven year followup

We received this email from an athletic 60 year old man who had a ream and run seven years earlier

 His preoperative x-rays are shown here.


The axillary "truth" view shows a retroverted biconcave (B2) glenoid


At surgery some excessive intraoperative posterior translation was noted in spite of the fact that the humeral prosthesis was a 56 21. A rotator interval plication was effective in managing this translation. He was started on the 150 degree assisted elevation program the evening of surgery. 


His x-rays at seven years after the ream and run are shown below. Showing a secure impaction grafted stem with a regenerated radiographic space between his human head and the glenoid.



He reports “It has been more than seven years since my shoulder replacement surgery, and I have long since resumed a normal life, essentially forgetting I ever had a problem.

 

The years leading up to surgery, when I could no longer ride a bike, kayak, rock climb, lift weights or even play the piano because I couldn’t raise my right arm high enough, seem now like just a bad dream.  Before discovering the R&R option, I had consulted two other orthopedic surgeons and had not been encouraged by what they had to say.  Consequently, I let my shoulder problem (osteoarthritis) progress until it was no longer tolerable.  At the end, I was in constant pain, occasionally severe, and a right arm that was virtually useless.

 

After several months of regular stretching exercises, dedicated work, not without pain, I began to realize the amazing outcome from the R&R procedure.  A year after surgery, I returned to the gym for the first time in twenty-five years.  It was a new lease on life.  Now, I exercise pretty vigorously three to five times a week, working all muscle groups, with a goal of restoring strength, flexibility and symmetry.  Climbing, biking and kayaking are no problem.  I can’t seem to perform as well in the gym as I did forty years ago, but I’ve been told the problem may be related to being 68 years old, rather than 28.  

I’m attaching two video clips taken in a local gym earlier this year showing overhead press with 135 lbs. and pull-ups, respectively.”






To subscribe to this blog, enter your email in the box to your right that looks like the below



===
How you can support research in shoulder surgery Click on this link.

We have a new set of shoulder youtubes about the shoulder, check them out at this link.

Be sure to visit "Ream and Run - the state of the art" regarding this radically conservative approach to shoulder arthritis at this link and this link

Use the "Search" box to the right to find other topics of interest to you.

You may be interested in some of our most visited web pages  arthritis, total shoulder, ream and runreverse total shoulderCTA arthroplasty, and rotator cuff surgery as well as the 'ream and run essentials'